REGENERATIVE DERMATOLOGY > GROWTH FACTORS
GROWTH FACTORS – ALOPECIA
What is alopecia?
Alopecia is the premature loss or absence of hair in one or more parts of the body. Alopecia is a widespread condition that has few effective treatments. The Clinic Dr. Serrano has several effective treatments one of them being the application of growth factors.
What are growth factors?
Growth factors are proteins generated by cells of the body that act as elements of communication between cells of the skin and to promote cellular differentiation. Growth factors act on different tissues and participate in a variety of biological processes:
- They increase the synthesis of collagen.
- They encourage the proliferation of fibroblasts.
- They increase the synthesis of inhibitors of the metalloproteases (TIMP).
- They stimulate the regeneration of the extracellular matrix.
- They lead to the development of new blood vessels.
- Promote the proliferation and migration of keratinocytes.
- Improve re-epithelialization.
- They are involved in healing and tissue regeneration.
These activities are essential to the maintenance and renewal of the skin.
Treatment of alopecia with growth factors
Seskavel growth factor
Research has shown the importance of follistatin in stimulation of stem cells in the hair follicle to induce growth. Follistatin is a gonadal, simple-chain protein that inhibits specifically the release of the follicle-stimulant hormone (FSH). The follistatin gene codifies two isoforms, FST317 and FST344, that contain 317 and 344 aminoacids respectively and result in an alternative splicing of ARNm precursor (1). Research shows the importance of follistatin in the stimulation of the pilous follicle and stem cells to induce hair growth. Clinical studies have been carried out on patients with androgenetic alopecia which showed the efficacy to improve hair growth (2).
- Gene. [En línea] NCBI, 6 de 12 de 2016. [Citado el: 21 de 12 de 2016.] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/10468.
- Hair regrowth following a Wnt- and follistatin containing treatment: safety and efficacy in a first-in-man phase 1 clinical trial. Zimber M, Ziering C, Zeigler F, et al. s.l. : J Drugs Dermatol, 2011, Vols. 10(11):1308-12.
Diagnosis and treatment of alopecia with growth factors in Valencia
• Dr. Gabriel Serrano Sanmiguel